BSC Home Court Issue

Straight from the hardwood of Kimmel Arena...

Moderators: kingaling42, baughn22

BSC Home Court Issue

Postby ohiostate on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 am

Just saw on ACT that because she committed Kimmel to SoCon Womens Bball tournament the UNCA mens basketball team will not be able to play the BSC in Avl at Kimmel or the Justice Center. Not sure if this is a done deal but if it is this is by far the most ridiculous decision she has made in her tenure as AD.

“After playing home games at Kimmel all season, we just didn’t think it would be the right thing to play the championship game in Justice, so we would pass on hosting the championship.”

THIS IS A HUGE DEAL and the players and fans that pay and support the team need to maker her know that.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... |Frontpage
ohiostate

Re: BSC Home Court Issue

Postby kingaling42 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:12 am

The bottom line is that there is absolutely no reason for Janet Cone to continue to serve in her current capacity as AD if this is how decisions are being made. To undermine the most prominent team in front of the very community that you are reaching out to daily.. it not only undermines the team that is working their a$$ off to be the best team in the conference.. but it also undermines the entire Athletic Department staff and Alumni Association members- because every single one of those staff members jobs just got harder.. you want monies to be raised? Why would the community give money for the SoCon to come first over UNC Asheville? You want people to come out to support the teams? To what end- just to find out that you will have to travel to support possibly the #1 team in the Big South.. that's just ridiculous.. You want to keep recruiting great HS players- why should they come to ASheville to work their a$$es off just to not be supported in the pinacle of tournament play?

There simply is NO good reason & no amount of spin is going to change how anyone feels about this decision.

Now to find out that they won't even attempt to host in the Justice Center? That's a slap in the face to everyone associated with the team- the players, their families, coaches, staff, alumni, Bulldog Club members, and the entire UNCA community.

Jant Cone has been fired from several jobs in the past- I will not understand if she is NOT fired from her current position if this plays out as announced.

I suggest that folks reach out to some of the following folks to express their thoughts on our fearless AD..

UNC Asheville Trustees
Renee Bindewald- ex officio
One University Heights
Asheville, NC 28804-8501
Phone: 828-251-6587
rmbindew@unca.edu

David Cogburn, M.D.
28 Hilltop Road
Asheville, NC 28803
Phone: 828-684-0703
bfcogs@aol.com

Sue McClinton
108 Big Spring Drive
Asheville, NC 28804
Phone: 828-254-3724
shmcclinton@aol.com

Audrey Byrd Mosley- Secretary
2101 Constitution Ave NW
Washington, DC 20418
Phone: 202-334-2440
Fax: 828-253-8548
amosley@nas.edu

Douglas Orr
297 Pinnacle Drive
Black Mountain, NC 28711
Phone: 828-669-1306
Fax: 828-649-2989
dougmorr@charter.net

Ron Paulus
509 Biltmore Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
Phone: 828-213-1114
ron.paulus@msj.org

Bruce Peterson
230 Lower Brush Creek Road
Fletcher, NC 28732-8483
Phone: 828-628-1349
bruce.peterson@bellsouth.net

King Prather
319 Montibello Drive
Cary, NC 27513
Phone: 919-765-7259
King.Prather@bcbsnc.com

Nathan Ramsey- Vice Chair
26 Ramsey Farm Road
Fairview, NC 28730
Phone: 828-628-3216
natbin@charter.net

Pat Smith
505 Elk Mountain Scenic Hwy
Asheville, NC 28804
Phone: 828-252-4024
patsmith2046@msn.com

Virgil Smith
7950 Jones Branch Dr.
McLean, VA 22107
Phone: 703-854-7082
Fax: 828-274-4212
vsmith@gannett.com

Cissie Stevens- Chair
478 Merrill Cove Road
Asheville, NC 28803
Phone: 828-684-4425
ceestevens@bellsouth.net

Pamela Turner
One Trailridge
Asheville, NC 28804
Phone: 828-252-4024
Pturner277@aol.com

UNC Asheville Foundation Board of Directors 2011-2012
http://www.unca.edu/giving/about-giving ... -directors

Anne Ponder: aponder@unca.edu
Janet Cone: jcone@unca.edu
kingaling42

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:29 am

I'm not going to get really angry about this until we actually win the regular season. Regardless, still shows where mens basketball is on the priority list of Janet Cone.

Hopefully the team will use this as a rallying point (similar to Major League when they won to spite their owner) and not use it as an excuse to slack off in the regular season.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby UNCA-UNL on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:42 am

Just saw this article on CT as well. Unless they give a logical reason like "the Justice Center could collapse at any time", this is completely illogical. Just about everyone on the team has played in the Justice Center, plus it is in Asheville, where UNC-Asheville is. I agree that the team should use this as motivation and let the fans who really support UNCA Basketball take care of the rest. My only guess is that the uppers don't want the Justice Center on national tv.
UNCA-UNL

Postby kingaling42 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:28 pm

This is a galactically stupid decision.. perhaps the higher ups should've thought about this prior to ignorant, self-serving folks making decisions that they clearly don't comprehend all the possible outcomes of.. Maybe Janet just wants to be closer to her hometown of Summerville, SC when ChuckSouth or Coastal or Campbell hosts the tourney..

How funny (& awesome) would it be to watch ChuckSouth host the tourney in the BucDome if they finish 2nd to UNCA????

What do you expect when you have a fired women's basketball coach running the entire athletic program = clearly in-over-her-head
kingaling42

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:39 pm

I'm going to wait 48 hours to give Janet a chance to make an excuse before I fire off a missive to all of the email addresses that King listed.

Has any plausible explanation been given?
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby ohiostate on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:54 pm

As far as I know the only explanation in what's in the article. I am not waiting 48 hours, already sent an email to her and forwarded that same one to the board of trustees.
ohiostate

Postby Dogger 4 Life on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Only "explaination" I have heard so far is that there will be too much traffic on campus. WhatAJoke!! This is pathetic
Dogger 4 Life

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:27 pm

If you don't mind, I think it would be nice to see the emails just so we can kind of harp on the same issues and have a united front. I'll post mine when I send it.

My main point is going to be what Coach B said in the ACT article. What do you tell the players on the team? How do you ask the players to go out there and give everything they have for UNC Asheville, but in return not expect UNC Asheville to go out there and play for them? What do you tell the seniors who have worked so hard to get this program to a place where we could host the title game?
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby kingaling42 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:29 pm

There are 2 articles in the C-T's about this.. this one linked below talks about the campus being over-crowded.. What a lame excuse..

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... ext|Sports

So who wants to get http://www.firejanetcone.com going??
kingaling42

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:33 pm

kingaling42 wrote:This is a galactically stupid decision.. perhaps the higher ups should've thought about this prior to ignorant, self-serving folks making decisions that they clearly don't comprehend all the possible outcomes of.. Maybe Janet just wants to be closer to her hometown of Summerville, SC when ChuckSouth or Coastal or Campbell hosts the tourney..

How funny (& awesome) would it be to watch ChuckSouth host the tourney in the BucDome if they finish 2nd to UNCA????

What do you expect when you have a fired women's basketball coach running the entire athletic program = clearly in-over-her-head

While this whole thing makes me question her PR sense, I would like to think she would not show up in Charleston if the top-seeded Bulldogs are playing there in the Big South tournament. If so, she should get booed out of the gym. Plus we all know that she will have to be in Asheville overseeing her #1 priority... THE SOCON WOMENS TOURNAMENT!! It's the oldest tournament in America! Who are you rooting for? I like UNC-Greensboro personally, but I hear the Lady Paladins are coming on strong this year!!
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Deleted my email. I didn't include Janet on my email list, don't necessarily want her reading it.
Last edited by UNCA Alum on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby ohiostate on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:58 pm

My email was a lot less tactful and asked them to take a look at this forum (included the link to this topic) so they can see first hand comments. I also asked them to consider going on a different direction (copied cone on the email too) as she obviously does not share the university's interests. Please to say I got a response from one of the Board of Trustees members already.
ohiostate

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:50 pm

We had that letter from Tom Smith on the front page for 8 years, can't even get a note from our AD explaining her decision?
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:34 pm

We also need to include comments that we are seeing on FAcebook. In case some of the higher ups are reading this thread, they need to know that it's not just us that feel this way.

Alumni, Class of 2007. "Either Janet Cone fixes this and we play in Kimmel or she needs to go. Simple as that."
Alumni, Class of 2007. "This is embarrassing."
Alumni, Class of 2007. "Only at UNCA would this happen."
Alumni, Class of 2009. "We have been told for years we would have the championship in there and now that is built, she is still trying to deny them."
Alumni, Class of 2008. "Shows how incompetent the leadership is."
Alumni, Class of 2008. "A big thumbs down for Janet Cone."
Current Student. "We do have that one random basket behind the library. Will just have to take it back after each made hoop."
Current Student. "What about the red courts?!?!?!"

This email is an alumni from the Class of 2005.

Just sent the following email to Ponder and Cone.

I understand committing the Kimmel Arena for the SoCon women’s tournament – a good gesture and a lucrative move for Asheville – but how can you forfeit tournament home court advantage with so much on the line? Those young men have worked so hard this season and for anyone to deprive them of a proper home game is asinine. The Justice Center gives a huge advantage to the Bulldogs. The place has always been notorious for crowd noise and fan involvement.

I don’t understand this decision. Why wouldn’t you want home support on your own campus? The fans and their support is a MAJOR advantage in the tourney. That’s why everyone wants a home game.

I make an annual pilgrimage back to UNCA every year for Homecoming and playoffs. Though I'd like to see the game in Kimmel Arena, the Justice Center is the next best thing! This decision not only perplexes me, but angers me as well. What precedent are you setting by giving a home game away?

Is it too late to change your mind? What can be done to right this decision?
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby kingaling42 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:27 pm

This is now the opening/top story on the local news - http://www.wlos.com/

We should reasonably expect from this decision that the rest of the home games should now also be rescheduled to away venues as that would be in the new best interest of the team- let's get really good playing on the road.. Go Bulldogs!

What a croc.. Think about the fact that the lame excuse- errr I mean rationale was campus overcrowding.. We had a game to open the arena with a full house of 3200+ people.. SoCon women would on the best day ever draw 1500 people (I'm being very generous here I think..) Justice Center only holds 1200- the campus is out of school for Spring break- where exactly is the issue with overcrowding the campus when you've already accommodated 3200 vs roughly 2700 people to open the arena on Nov 13th?

If the guys win the regular season- they deserve to play at home- anything less is unacceptable. Janet & Anne Ponder have no business in taking away from the very students they claim to support.
kingaling42

Postby UNCA-UNL on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:38 pm

My question is that can this decision be overturned? Or did she sign some kind of contract?
UNCA-UNL

Postby kingaling42 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:13 pm

The SoCon deal is contractual as I understand & they pertain to the use of teh Civic Center for the SoCon men and Kimmel for the SoCon women- the decision not to play at least in the Justice Center is not contingent to anything related to the SoCon events..
kingaling42

Postby UNCA-UNL on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 pm

So the decision not to play in the Justice Center could be reversed? Whether UNCA makes it to the finals with the best record or not, the AD and Ponder need to show their support for the players and fans and announce the game could be played in the Justice Center. Needless to say, the Bulldogs still have a long long ways to go.
UNCA-UNL

Postby ohiostate on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Do not like posting something this long but received this email a little while ago:

Dear Bulldog Supporters: This is a response that the Athletics Deparment has put together regarding the articles that were in the Asheville Citizen-Times today. Thank you

UNC Asheville would like to clarify and provide additional information about its decision regarding the hosting of Big South Conference Tournament games, including the potential for a championship game in March of 2012.
For several years, UNC Asheville has worked closely with community leaders to bring a major collegiate basketball tournament to the Asheville area. These leaders talked to the Big South Conference, the Southern Conference and other conferences in hopes of securing a post-season basketball tournament for the Asheville area.
In the spring of 2010, the Southern Conference agreed to return their men’s and women’s tournaments to Asheville. UNC Asheville was proud to play a major role in securing this collegiate basketball championship which will have a tremendous economic impact on Western North Carolina.
At the time of the agreement with the Southern Conference, the Big South Tournament format and dates were not known. UNC Asheville officials were determined to work through any potential scheduling conflicts that could arise with both tournaments. UNC Asheville is committed to honoring its agreement with the Southern Conference and to work with both Bulldog basketball programs.
Last summer when Kimmel Arena was completed, UNC Asheville began preparations to host the first two rounds of the Southern Conference Women’s Basketball Tournament and to possibly host part of or all of the Big South Conference men’s tournament during the same week. In addition, the format for the 2012 Big South Conference Tournament had not been set. Despite the uncertainties about the format, UNC Asheville officials worked with both conferences to reassure the Southern Conference women’s tournament that it would uphold its commitment. A one-year facility agreement was recently signed.
Several different options were presented to resolve the conflict, including the use of the Justice Center. However, the Big South Conference leadership expressed concern about playing in a facility where its home games were no longer being played.
The format for the BSC 2012 Men’s Tournament was finally determined this past November. It was agreed that if UNC Asheville were to become the #1 seed, they would be allowed to host the quarterfinals and semifinals of the tournament. UNC Asheville officials offered the use of Justice Center for the championship game if the Bulldogs were fortunate to be in that game. However, the Big South Conference did not support holding the championship game in Justice Center. UNC Asheville officials reluctantly agreed but were firm about hosting the quarterfinals and semifinals of the tournament in Kimmel Arena if the Bulldogs were fortunate enough to be the regular-season champions.
Janet Cone, UNC Asheville’s Director of Athletics stated:
“Our role as a community partner has been to help bring a major collegiate basketball tournament to our area to boost our local economy and to promote NCAA basketball for all student-athletes, coaches, and fans. We made a commitment to our local leaders and Southern Conference to honor that commitment. One of the determining factors for the Southern Conference’s decision to move back to Asheville was the availability of Kimmel Arena for part of their tournament.
“Our offer to play in Justice Center still stands,” added Cone. “However, we will honor the wishes of our conference at this time.”
“The Big South Conference men’s basketball coaches have expressed a strong desire about having all the teams play the conference tournament at the same location,” commented UNC Asheville men’s coach Eddie Biedenbach. “Thankfully, the CEO’s have approved a new predetermined site format so this is moot anyway.
“I understand the importance of UNC Asheville’s commitment to the Southern Conference. I am confident the University did everything it could to try and get Justice Center for the championship game,” added Biedenbach. “We would still love to play in Justice Center if we’re fortunate to be in the championship game. If the BSC would allow that request, I am confident we can host both tournaments on our campus.”
The Big South Conference understands UNC Asheville's commitment as a good community partner,” stated Big South Conference Commissioner Kyle Kallander. “
Kallander said that at the request of the Conference, UNC Asheville will not host the Championship game since its regular season venue is not available.

Pat Bryant
Director of Athletic Development
828-250-3858 (O)
828-215-8765 (C)
pbryant@unca.edu
ohiostate

Postby UNCA-UNL on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:59 pm

The letter from Ohiostate does make some clarifications. I am not sure how much I buy that they didn't know when the tournament final would be. Since 2007 it has been on the first or second Saturday in March. I think they were playing with odds and could end up losing.

As far as the Big South Conference, I would like a little more clarification on "the Big South Conference leadership expressed concern about playing in a facility where its home games were no longer being played." What are the concerns about playing in a facility where they played all season in last year?
UNCA-UNL

Postby kingaling42 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:21 pm

I received that same email & this is simply PR spin now.. The conference leaders have not had any issues when we have considered using a larger venue like the Avl Civic Center- even when it was not our regular home game venue- they would've loved having the tourney in the Avl CC back in 2007- this is made up bullsh!t and I think folks are smart enough to see this..

Additionally Kyle Kallander (who is even more full of poor decisions than Janet Cone is) was quoted by saying that UNC Asheville had waived the right to host in the article that KJ wrote-
Asked if he had objections to the game being played in Justice, Kallander said, “It was their decision, and we will leave it at that.”
KK did not mention that the conference had any role in the decision.. If he did then who is making decisions for UNC Asheville and why would we put up with such decisions that adversely affect our student-athlete's.. there is no stipulation for the size of the arena, otherwise ChuckSouth & Coastal would also have to host elsewhere or waive their right to host.. simply put this is complete bullsh!t!! C'mon Janet- remember that most of us graduated from UNC Asheville which is a pretty good university & we're smart enough to know when you're just trying to scramble to cover your A$$ that is now under fire!!

If UNCA and Janet were truly working with both conferences; the favor was clearly not reciprocated by the conferences in setting simlar dates, which isn't exactly neighborly since we're trying to be good neighbors and all- the contractual agreement could have protected the home team IF the dates were not set.. so someone dropped the ball in the contractual agreement to not allow a contingency that protected both parties if their was a scheduling conflict- after all that's what contracts are supposed to be for to protect everyone.. UNCA was not protected in this agreement- in fact the team is simply being sh!tted on..

Janet Cone put UNCA 2nd, someone involved at UNCA should do the same thing and ensure that she is also 2nd.. this is still unacceptable..
kingaling42

Postby uncafan on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm feeling lazy so haven't read all the posts above...will try to over the next day or two. Just saw the article on ACT web-site....

Quick response... I'll read through everything and reply again by weekend. Please understand that what follows is in no way meant to be arrogant or chest pounding, etc. Over the last year or two I have donated a decent amount to the athletic program.... I think everyone knows my baseball ties but I have not designated the funding to baseball as I think some of my 'side' contributions help them enough. While my donations have not been recognized publicly on the web-site etc (which BTW is fine with me) I know that last year I was in the top couple tiers of personal donors and I significantly increased my donation for 12/13 to the athletic department. Janet and I have a good relationship and I feel that over the last few years we have often conversed regarding the future of the athletic dept.

I will reach out to Janet personally and I plan to honor my pledge for 2012/13 but beyond that...if this situation is not resolved...I will no longer financially support UNC Asheville's Athletic Department. I am absolutely shocked at the way this is being handled and I will instead invest the money in non-sports related scholarships and initiatives. And if Chancellor Ponder does not respond in an appropriate manner I can promise that I will not be the only alum that financially backs the athletic department that will no longer make financial commitments to the program.
uncafan
Site Admin

Postby uncafan on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:42 pm

ohiostate wrote:Do not like posting something this long but received this email a little while ago:

Dear Bulldog Supporters: This is a response that the Athletics Deparment has put together regarding the articles that were in the Asheville Citizen-Times today. Thank you

UNC Asheville would like to clarify and provide additional information about its decision regarding the hosting of Big South Conference Tournament games, including the potential for a championship game in March of 2012.
For several years, UNC Asheville has worked closely with community leaders to bring a major collegiate basketball tournament to the Asheville area. These leaders talked to the Big South Conference, the Southern Conference and other conferences in hopes of securing a post-season basketball tournament for the Asheville area.
In the spring of 2010, the Southern Conference agreed to return their men’s and women’s tournaments to Asheville. UNC Asheville was proud to play a major role in securing this collegiate basketball championship which will have a tremendous economic impact on Western North Carolina.
At the time of the agreement with the Southern Conference, the Big South Tournament format and dates were not known. UNC Asheville officials were determined to work through any potential scheduling conflicts that could arise with both tournaments. UNC Asheville is committed to honoring its agreement with the Southern Conference and to work with both Bulldog basketball programs.
Last summer when Kimmel Arena was completed, UNC Asheville began preparations to host the first two rounds of the Southern Conference Women’s Basketball Tournament and to possibly host part of or all of the Big South Conference men’s tournament during the same week. In addition, the format for the 2012 Big South Conference Tournament had not been set. Despite the uncertainties about the format, UNC Asheville officials worked with both conferences to reassure the Southern Conference women’s tournament that it would uphold its commitment. A one-year facility agreement was recently signed.
Several different options were presented to resolve the conflict, including the use of the Justice Center. However, the Big South Conference leadership expressed concern about playing in a facility where its home games were no longer being played.
The format for the BSC 2012 Men’s Tournament was finally determined this past November. It was agreed that if UNC Asheville were to become the #1 seed, they would be allowed to host the quarterfinals and semifinals of the tournament. UNC Asheville officials offered the use of Justice Center for the championship game if the Bulldogs were fortunate to be in that game. However, the Big South Conference did not support holding the championship game in Justice Center. UNC Asheville officials reluctantly agreed but were firm about hosting the quarterfinals and semifinals of the tournament in Kimmel Arena if the Bulldogs were fortunate enough to be the regular-season champions.
Janet Cone, UNC Asheville’s Director of Athletics stated:
“Our role as a community partner has been to help bring a major collegiate basketball tournament to our area to boost our local economy and to promote NCAA basketball for all student-athletes, coaches, and fans. We made a commitment to our local leaders and Southern Conference to honor that commitment. One of the determining factors for the Southern Conference’s decision to move back to Asheville was the availability of Kimmel Arena for part of their tournament.
“Our offer to play in Justice Center still stands,” added Cone. “However, we will honor the wishes of our conference at this time.”
“The Big South Conference men’s basketball coaches have expressed a strong desire about having all the teams play the conference tournament at the same location,” commented UNC Asheville men’s coach Eddie Biedenbach. “Thankfully, the CEO’s have approved a new predetermined site format so this is moot anyway.
“I understand the importance of UNC Asheville’s commitment to the Southern Conference. I am confident the University did everything it could to try and get Justice Center for the championship game,” added Biedenbach. “We would still love to play in Justice Center if we’re fortunate to be in the championship game. If the BSC would allow that request, I am confident we can host both tournaments on our campus.”
The Big South Conference understands UNC Asheville's commitment as a good community partner,” stated Big South Conference Commissioner Kyle Kallander. “
Kallander said that at the request of the Conference, UNC Asheville will not host the Championship game since its regular season venue is not available.

Pat Bryant
Director of Athletic Development
828-250-3858 (O)
828-215-8765 (C)
pbryant@unca.edu

I lied....i read most of the posts... Glad Pat included me on the email. Never got it -- apparently my financial contribution this year wasn't so appreciated.... Guess I'll go ahead and send the email saying I'm backing out of my commitment for 2012/13... Embarrassing.
uncafan
Site Admin

Postby WinthropEagleFan on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:27 pm

I'm just surprised that she didn't get a contingency plan agreed-upon w/ the SoCon before agreeing to host the SoCon tourney...I think any AD would do that in the case that the possibility exists that your team would need to use that building that day. And saying that the Big South's future tournament format wasn't set in stone is a cop-out. The championship game has been held on the first Saturday of Championship Week for at least the last 13 years (and probably longer), and as long as I can remember, the SoCon tournament has been held around that same weekend as well (though their championship game has switched days at times, but either way, they always have some round of their tournament on that same Saturday). And while it may not have been set in stone, the idea that a top seed would host the championship game was a distinct possibility (while I know some coaches/schools have wanted a single-site format, it's obvious the conference likes rewarding the top seed w/ the championship game)....so it was extremely short-sighted to not put in a plan that would allow UNCA to use Kimmel in the case that the team earned the right to host the championship game (and if it would require some sort of compensation, that's not unreasonable).

Maybe the conference is playing hardball w/ the Justice Center, but if I was Kallander, I'd be pretty upset that one of the ADs in the league would sell out their own school for another conference's tournament. I mean, would it have really been a deal-breaker for the SoCon if their women's quarterfinals had to be held in the Justice Center? I really don't think the deal hinged on that decision. Like I said, it was very short-sighted to not have a contingency plan agreed upon by all of the parties involved.
WinthropEagleFan

Postby unca_alum on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Seems we've all chosen similar usernames...not to be confused with earlier posters nonetheless. Thanks to those of you who brought this to my attention. This is pretty sad and embarrassing. There is obviously a lot of things that need to fall into place before this problem materializes but I can't imagine the feeling of being let down by your own AD if you're on the basketball team. I agree this decision should be viewed as career suicide. Hypocrite. Good luck guys. Stick it to her!
unca_alum

Postby UNCA Alum on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:02 am

Agree that it's a case of CYA going on with the athletic department. And I'm not buying the "The BSC Tournament had not been finalized" nonsense. Let's pretend for a second that the tournament championship game hasn't been played on the same day forever. Even if we did rotate our championship dates, why is it a good idea to say:

"Well, the BSC hasn't finalized their dates yet. So let's just give up our campus to the SoCon Women's Tournament!!!!!"

Your commitment isn't to the City of Asheville. It is to UNC Asheville. And why do we have to abide by the [i]request[i] of the conference? Why can't we just say, "We'll keep that in mind, but plan on playing in the Justice if we are there."

If we have to play a regular season game in the Justice... well then let's play a regular season game in the Justice. We can move over there for one BSC game each season. Maybe do it for a TV game just to really tick off the conference. We are going to be facing this issue for two more years, if not more. What are we going to do about this next year?

It's just ridiculous that Coach B has to say, "I understand UNC Asheville's commitment to the Southern Conference." I get sick to my stomach just reading that and I'm sure he said it with gritted teeth. Can you picture Bob McKillop saying, "I understand Davidson's commitment to the Big South." Of course not.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby baughn22 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

This is utterly embarrassing. I won't repeat all of the thoughts that everyone has posted in an effort to reduce clutter, but I agree with everyone. I feel absolutely terrible for the student-athletes in this situation. They should be rewarded if they have the season which would allow them to host a conference championship game. I don't know if Janet had no faith in the team that they could possibly be in that position, or if she simply isn't forward-thinking enough (nicest way I could put it) to understand what may have happened.

Absolutely mind-boggling.
baughn22

Postby UNCA-UNL on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:37 am

I liked that the morning edition of WLOS read the obscure reason of not having the tournament in the Justice Center, because "they have not played a game their all year." That makes no sense. Like UNCA ALUM said, put one game in there this season, then we would not have the problem. Simple as that. I also like the whole "too many people on campus issue" was not brought up again in the letter, but that just it was the Big South Conferences decision not to have it in the JC. If I was a reporter I would look more into this, because something is not making sense. We know the AD sold out the mens basketball team, but why can't it be in the JC? No one has given a real reason, just vague excuses.
UNCA-UNL

Postby ohiostate on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:44 am

Embarrassing is the word that I have used the most in my 3 emails to the UNC-Asheville leadership. So far I don't see anything on whether something can be done to host the potential game. This, as many of you have pointed out, seems like a viable alternative if we host a regular season game at the JC. I would like to see someone like Keith Jarrett get to the bottom of this since we are getting a thousand and one reasons why it is not happening. I am all about doing anything and everything for the better of the
Asheville community but to do that you have to care of your owns first, something Cone has clearly not done. This would have not happened under James Mullen's administration, he understood sports and was even present in most basketball games. Although I have serious doubts Cone will be present at the next home game, I look forward to meeting her in person and voicing my negative opinions to her.
ohiostate

Next

Return to Men's Basketball