Big South Conference Play

Straight from the hardwood of Kimmel Arena...

Moderators: kingaling42, baughn22

Re: Big South Conference Play

Postby UNCA Alum on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am

Not concerned with losing @ HP and @ Radford as much as I was concerned with HOW we lost. Just didn't compete at all. Championship teams don't typically get run off the court like that twice in a row.

Tonight will tell us a lot about our chances moving forward. Based on our track record, we are due for another lethargic, crappy, dumpster fire of a game. If we can't consistently give effort and play hard, we have no chance of doing anything of substance this year.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby UNCA Alum on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Looking at PC, their 1-3 record doesn't show how much more competitive they are this year. They play a deep bench and shoot a lot of 3s. Led by 3 really good Big South players:

1) Reggie Dillard (Wing) - Really picked his game up in his 8th year in Clinton. Averaging 17 a game, shooting well from all over the court.
2) Davon Bell (PG) - Missed almost all of last year with injury, came back a much better player. Really makes them go on offense and might be the best true point guard in the league.
3) Francois Lewis (PF) - JuCo transfer, skilled big with very nice shooting touch. Lefty.

Will be interested to see how our trap does against their skilled PG and three point shooters.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby hpufan15 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:55 pm

UNCA Alum you are right they are much better and those three really have been playing well! Maybe could be the coaching change of getting rid of long time coach Greg Nibbert! Changing up schemes and beliefs as well! Makes me think, with those 3, the team would of been really competitive with Desean Murray who is averaging 11 points and 7 boards a game!

Radford Gardner Webb game to me is most intriguing tonight!

Also like to see how Winthrop responds going to CSU without Nych Smith! Think they should beat CSU but who knows!
hpufan15

Postby kingaling42 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 pm

‘Dogs came to play in the first half.. almost doubling PC up at the break; 45-23 and shooting 50% from the perimeter..

Barn burner in Boiling Springs GWebb leads RU 28-16 at the break..
kingaling42

Postby kingaling42 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 pm

'Dogs close out Presby in one of the best perimeter shooting games we've seen.. shot selection and decisiveness was an obvious improvement.

Big South games going our way thus far..
Clemons nails a last second 3 pointer to lift the Camels over HP 65-64
Longwood closes out Liberty on a 14-0 run to win on the road, 58-51; Flames message board should be interesting.. 8-)
GWebb up 2 over RU with 14.9 sec to go and GWebb at the line for front end FT
WU up 11 over CSU with 5+ mins left
kingaling42

Postby kingaling42 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Presby play by play guys mentioned how hard the 'Dogs warmed up prior to the game- hoping we won't see that slow lethargic BS with a change in the pregame routine.

GWebb closed out Radford
Winthrop beat CSU

No games this weekend for who knows what reason....

T1. GWEBB / Radford 4-1
T3. UNCA / Liberty/ Campbell 3-2
T6. WU / HP / LwU 2-3
T9. CSU / PC 1-4
kingaling42

Postby UNCA Alum on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Best we’ve looked in a while. Great game on both ends. Played hard, played smart, played together. Ahmad playing w a lot more confidence.

Always look a lot better when you are making 3s....

Take care of business at home vs CSU and we are right back in this thing.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby GoUNCA on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 pm

We had practice tonight so I haven't watched it yet. It looks like we played a better defensive game.

That liberty game though
B.S. Chemistry - UNC-Asheville '08
GoUNCA

Postby hpufan15 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:56 am

Really seem's like the Big South has become more competitive from top to bottom this year!

Big South schedule is weird this year. Guys already played Tuesday and Friday. Then Monday,Thursday, Sunday.

In 12 days- 5 games! That is like a NBA Schedule! No time for teams to practice!

Only 6 more weeks to go though to get 13 games in!

Liberty at Radford should be a good one on Monday!
hpufan15

Postby GoUNCA on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:42 am

I think there is more parity this year because the players lost at Winthrop and us playing worse than expected. I don't think the league is better this year. More competitive by loss.

Watched the PC game. We really have better, longer athletes on the floor, which makes us look pretty good. I really liked the effort and energy. We ran much better offensive end - much less standing around and better ball movement. We played a lot of zone and PC never attacked it consistently. I think that was the best attended PC game I've ever watched.

Still on the brown train, but him almost dying every gaming on a block charge needs some work.

I assume coaches wanted to schedule A crazy week to match the conference tourney set up.
GoUNCA

Postby NC88 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:17 am

Not to change the subject, but since there are no Big South games today, If you want a really good Mid-major game to watch, Furman plays @ Wofford today in their new arena - sold out. It's pretty crazy how good the SoCon is this year. They are stacked at the top. This is the best I can remember in a long time. It's probably not going to happen, but with ETSU and UNCG being so good as well, I wonder if there is a slight chance they get 2 teams in the tournament field?....
NC88

Postby kingaling42 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 am

NC88 wrote:... I wonder if there is a slight chance they get 2 teams in the tournament field?....

Ummm no. I know you're wondering but it's not going to happen. Most teams have bad losses that would prevent an at-large and the strength of schedule is going to plummet as they face lower conference foes (VMI, Chatty, & El Cid are not good at all)

ETSU lost at home to Troy (246) SOS 224
Furman lost to Winthrop (212) SOS 227
UNCG lost to Presby (293) SOS 153

Wofford is currently RPI of 130 with SOS of 204; no terrible losses to this point although the 20 point L to us isn't going to help, wins over @UNC, Harvard, and Georgia Tech provides a good resume but I don't see them running the table in their conference from this point forward.

Should be a good game today between Terriers & Palladins though..
kingaling42

Postby hpufan15 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm

GoUNCA I 100% agree with this statment! "More competitive by loss"
hpufan15

Postby UNCA Alum on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:16 pm

Yeah I'd say overall the league is down this year as Liberty, Winthrop and us seem to have taken a step back.

PC and Longwood are playing better at the bottom though! They were two of the five worst teams in D1 last year. PC up in the solid 330s now. Longwood still in bottom 10, but should move up if Walton continues to stay healthy. Baby steps......

Charleston Southern has lost 4 straight since their opening blowout of Longwood. I haven't watched them play much at all this year, just bits and pieces on the Big South Network while we are at half or losing by 35 to High Point(*). They go 9-10 guys deep and shoot a bunch of threes, so anything can happen tonight.

Christian Keeling - 16ppg.
Travis McConico - 12ppg, best 3pt shooter.

*Big South Network - If you are reading this, we do not need to see the "This is the Big South" 25 second infomercial every time we switch games. We have already navigated our way to some type of Big South Network affiliated product, whether it's the website or the app. We understand which conference we are getting ready to watch. Don't need the Gardner Webb XC runner reminding us every five minutes.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby hpufan15 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Those commercials are annoying! When the games go to break I have to mute the commercials! Can't listen to the Utz pretzels commercial anymore either!
hpufan15

Postby GoUNCA on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:58 pm

UNCA Alum wrote:*Big South Network - If you are reading this, we do not need to see the "This is the Big South" 25 second infomercial every time we switch games. We have already navigated our way to some type of Big South Network affiliated product, whether it's the website or the app. We understand which conference we are getting ready to watch. Don't need the Gardner Webb XC runner reminding us every five minutes.

I admit that I've started to say south in an australian accent because of cooks being in that commercial. Big Se-alth.
GoUNCA

Postby GoUNCA on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 pm

First half from MaCio was magical. Ahmad with another solid outing. I thought with a couple of exceptions that Miller and Rackley had good minutes. We still haven't put together a full defensive game. We continue to look improved on offense.

But we have handled business to end our tour of the bottom tier of the Big South. Now we get tested on the road at Winthrop and then at Liberty.

Liberty dropped an OT game at Radford. Seems weird to me that the flames overpriced sports network was broadcasting at Radford.
Winthrop took care of business.
Campbell stumbled in farmville - they really got taken to the woodshed in this one.
PC wiped out against High Point
GoUNCA

Postby kingaling42 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Next 5 games will tell us exactly what to expect from this season.. This team is hard to beat at Kimmel but the mental and physical toughness is questionable on the road where they are 3-7 this season. Will need to rectify that if they have any chance of playing the postseason here at home.

@ Winthrop (Thursday)
@ Liberty (Sunday)
GWebb (next Wed)
High Point (next Sat)
@ Campbell (following Thursday)

1. 5-1 Radford
T2. 4-2 UNCA / GWebb 4-2
T4. 3-3 Liberty / Winthrop / LwU / HP / CU
T9. 1-5 CSU / Presby
kingaling42

Postby hpufan15 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:44 am

The schedule makers didn't do you guys any favors! That is a rough schedule!

Also the Flames network was being broadcasted on the big south network because Radford wasn't broadcasting due to ESPN3 having the game! I was very surprised the Big South Network even showed the Flames Feed! When they have a ESPN3 game does the big south network normally broadcast the espn3 feed or do they do their own broadcasting, or none at all?
hpufan15

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball