Furman

Straight from the hardwood of Kimmel Arena...

Moderators: kingaling42, baughn22

Furman

Postby GoUNCA on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Looking to bounce back on a short turnaround from the Clemson debacle.

Furman has been a bit hit and miss. They beat Elon, New Hampshire, Northeastern and TN tech, but then lost to Winthrop big. I didn't look it up, but I imagine Winthrop shot lights out that game.

Sibley has been there forever and leads them - he had some injury trouble, but it doesn't seem to be slowing him down much. Davis, Fowler, and Rafferty are also keys. They are good defensively, rebound well and shoot pretty good at the line.

Interested in seeing how we do.
Last edited by GoUNCA on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.S. Chemistry - UNC-Asheville '08
GoUNCA

Re: Furman

Postby GoUNCA on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Also - Beans is still there. Great name.
GoUNCA

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Don’t really understand this zone at all. They are getting wide open looks and then the rebound when they miss.

We match up with them just fine. Play man.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby GoUNCA on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:10 pm

This year's team is a complete mental case.

Looks like we'll try to lose this one by 50.

Awesome
GoUNCA

Postby NC88 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 pm

No urgency or rhythm. It's baffling..
NC88

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:29 pm

Worst 16 minutes we’ve played in a looooooooong Time.

I’m cool with MaCio shooting 25x per night. So much better when he is aggressive.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:43 pm

We don’t even think about boxing out. Shot goes up and we all just kind of non-chalantly take a step towards the rim.

This is just embarrassing.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby GoUNCA on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Rafferty really outclasses wnuk and baehre, but we keep trying to go through them.

Defense is baaaaaaaad. Maybe nick's plan was to ole defend the penetration and then have five guys collapse to the basket.

0-100 beyond the arc
GoUNCA

Postby GoUNCA on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Pretty awful every way you cut it. Thought we might quit and lose by half a century there for a second.

Furman is a good team, but this team is playing awful right now.

Shooting a high percentage beyond the arc made them think they were supermen on offense - they were wrong. Lot of one on one offense. I think we had 4 assists.
I'm not sure we have a guy right now that wasn't beat off the dribble multiple times in that game.

Really pitiful.

Thank God for Milligan Junior High School.
GoUNCA

Postby UNCA Alum on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Yeah if we are going to rely on guys to create their own shots, we really need to be MaCio and Ahmad centric. Offense should run almost exclusively through them. Glad to see us at least put forward some effort in second half.

While I’m in a ranting mood, can we please put an end to #ThePursuit??! It looks so bad on nights like this.... and for basically the entire fall sports season.

“Furman on 27-4 run. #ThePursuit.”
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby kingaling42 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:30 am

21 turnovers, 9 assists and only turned Furman over 14 times while they had 20 assisted baskets.. Easy math to explain a poor result

The early trend resembles our 2010-2011 team.. great team with potential that plays/shoots with confidence at home but not very mentally tough or mature enough to win games on the road. That team was 7-5 at home and 8-8 on the road and ended up as a 3 seed. This team has too many turnovers, poor man to man defense, low number of assists, poor ball movement, lack of effort once things get tough, and too many individuals not playing collectively. Until this team figures things out in other buildings I have a hard time believing they'll win enough conference games to earn a top seed.
kingaling42

Postby UNCA Alum on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:57 pm

To be a bit more positive, I still think we can make some pretty straightforward changes to help turn this thing around. We need to quickly recognize that our current approach is not working, however, or we could lose the season altogether. My suggestions:

1) Our 2-3 halfcourt zone is terrible. Just flat out embarrassing. Rather than trying to address the multitude of issues, we need to just scrap it. Man to man and the 1-3-1 halfcourt trap from here on out.
2) Need to establish clearer roles on the offensive end and, more importantly, roles that match up with each players skill set.
- Alec Wnuk plays hard and brings a lot to the table, but we do not need him initiating the halfcourt offense on the secondary break. He should never be put in a situation where he could even get six turnovers like he did last night. We need to either have Ahmad trailing full-time or just scrap that secondary break altogether. Wnuk, Gilmore and Baehre need to rebound, run the court, play defense, and finish around the rim when other guys draw attention.
- The dribble handoff / wing entry pass should be going TO MaCio, not FROM MaCio. He's the best player on our team and there are way too many possessions where he hands the ball off to a lesser talented player and then retreats to weak side corner.
- Nothing against the other guys on the roster, but the ball needs to be in either Ahmad or MaCio's hands when the shot clock is running down.
3) Alluded to it above, but to reiterate we need to change up the way we initiate the halfcourt offense. Our wing entry passes / dribble handoffs are entirely way too difficult for their extremely low value. It's baffling how many times we've turned the ball over this year while trying to get the ball to a player 30ft away from the basket and retreating. To make matters worse, those turnovers lead to automatic layups on the other end. We either need to change something up to get the players more open on the wing or just try something new. It's painfully clear that we are not getting game speed reps in practice and the lazy passes are carrying over to game day, so that's another thing that could be addressed.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby Dogger 4 Life on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:07 pm

When Nick leaves UNCA, I vote UNCA Alum as next head coach! You can hire me in some sort of part-time Marketing role since clearly, the strategy for getting people to show up to games is not going so well.
Dogger 4 Life

Postby kingaling42 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 am

Only trouble with the secondary break is you can't just plan for Ahmad to always be the trailing big man- if Ahmad is up top guarding someone on the perimeter you're going to ask him to hang back if Wnuk is guarding someone in the post or gets the rebound? It's a fluid opportunity not a planned set so you can't just make it so.. Not to over defend the guy but Wnuk had 2 bad games in regard to TO's- Furman & Vandy- 6 each game which is more than half the total (21) he's had all year so let's not over react.. Ahmad has 20 TO's for the year so you need improvement because you can't just expect them not to handle the ball- Wnuk has shown he's a capable passer and has more assists than Miller & Rackley.. it's the same offense that soundly beat Monmouth and played well the 2nd half of the Wofford game- they just need better consistency and some tweaks here or there- it's too late to scrap offensive sets or secondary breaks.

I certainly agree that the handoff passes are low value for the number of careless turnovers they are generating.. mainly the guards are not cutting quickly to get separation and I don't see any backdoor cuts on the overplay, plus the guys need to stop forcing passes when guys aren't getting enough separation.. we get some decent looks when the movement is quick and passing is crisp/timely.. it's also likely that our 2nd team/reserve guys aren't pushing hard enough to press the starters in practice to get out of the automatic/lackadaisical passing- perhaps they're just not talented enough to simulate what another teams starters bring to the table.
kingaling42

Postby GoUNCA on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:25 am

kingaling42 wrote:I certainly agree that the handoff passes are low value for the number of careless turnovers they are generating.. mainly the guards are not cutting quickly to get separation and I don't see any backdoor cuts on the overplay, plus the guys need to stop forcing passes when guys aren't getting enough separation.. we get some decent looks when the movement is quick and passing is crisp/timely.. it's also likely that our 2nd team/reserve guys aren't pushing hard enough to press the starters in practice to get out of the automatic/lackadaisical passing- perhaps they're just not talented enough to simulate what another teams starters bring to the table.

Preach.

I'd like to see the stats on how many moving screens are called on the handoff passes. Generally speaking - not just us.
GoUNCA

Postby UNCA Alum on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Shouldn't have used the term secondary break.

I'm mainly talking about the situations after dead balls or made baskets. To summarize: Alec takes it out, throws it to MaCio, MaCio gets token pressure in backcourt, MaCio flips it back to Alec after a dribble or two, Alec then brings it up the court. It far too often leads to a situation where Alec has picked up his dribble 25 ft away and is trying to find somebody with 18 seconds left on the shot clock. To be fair, we threw it back to Will Weeks and let him bring it up during his career from 2009-2016, but I just don't know if Alec has that same skill set.

We could instead have Alec just set a screen for MaCio to alleviate the pressure. We could have a guard take it out and toss it back to them. If we are worried about MaCio getting tired, we could have Kevin bring it up and initiate the offense (which would allow us to feed it to MaCio on the wing.) Ton of options, but if I'm an opposing coach then the one I am picking every single time is to have Alec dribble the ball the length of the court.

Baehre and Gilmore seem to be primarily rim running when they are in the game. They are certainly not called on to handle the ball as much as Alec. Whatever press break or secondary break we are running when they are in the game, just do that when Alec is in as well.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Return to Men's Basketball