Blose Fired

The place to discuss the play of the Lady Bulldogs

Moderators: kingaling42, baughn22

Blose Fired

Postby UNCA Alum on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:37 pm

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... ext|Sports

ASHEVILLE — After a great start as the UNC Asheville women’s basketball coach, Betsy Blose couldn‘t overcome a poor finish, and on Tuesday it ended with her being removed from the position.

Blose, with two years left on a contract that pays $74,587 annually, was reassigned to a newly created athletic administration position at the school.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Re: Blose Fired

Postby uncafan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:51 pm

UNCA Alum wrote:http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20120321/SPORTS/303210023/Blose-out-women-s-hoops-coach-UNC-Asheville?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

ASHEVILLE — After a great start as the UNC Asheville women’s basketball coach, Betsy Blose couldn‘t overcome a poor finish, and on Tuesday it ended with her being removed from the position.

Blose, with two years left on a contract that pays $74,587 annually, was reassigned to a newly created athletic administration position at the school.

So let me get this straight... We can afford to pay two women's basketball coaches, but we can't afford to pay a 2nd assistant baseball coach? Can't afford to hire enough athletic department administrators -- so we had to postpone a home baseball game that was the same week of the NCAA Tournament?

Wow...
uncafan
Site Admin

Postby UNCA Alum on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:57 am

Unfortunately comes with the territory. Gotta have at least two years on the contract in order to recruit. Downside of that is that it's basically going to cost $150k whenever you decide to make a change. I don't know why they couldn't have negotiated a buyout (i.e. if you get fired then we pay you $25k and we go our separate ways.)

I think if Coach Blose gets another coaching gig somewhere, we will not be obligated to pay the 75k per year.. but I'm not certain. This (fired coaches getting reassigned within athletic department) happens a lot at smaller schools. Guess you figure if you have to pay them the money, might as well at least get something out of it in return. Usually they just teach a few PE classes until their contract is up.

I hope we give former assistant Adell Harris a serious look.
UNCA '06

Kenny George is my hero.
UNCA Alum

Postby kingaling42 on Tue May 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Adell Harris got the job at UNC Wilmington..

However, the women's team did gain another Wake Forest grad in Brenda Mock Kirkpatrick..
kingaling42

Return to Women's Basketball